Thinking About Working in the United States as a Physical Therapist???

Best States:

In order to work in the U.S. as a physical therapist (PT), you need to undergo a series of steps. First, you have to choose which state you would like to practice. Each state has their own minimum credit requirements, English proficiency requirements, credentialing agencies they use or if they grant a limited permit or not. This is very crucial in getting a license. Your education might be deemed equivalent in one state but might be deficient in another state. compares all 50 states based on their license requirements, cost of living and average salary. We have listed each states contact information, credentialing agencies accepted, English proficiency or internship requirements and much more.


After you have applied for licensure in the state of your choice, you need to review for the National Physical Therapy Exam (NPTE). This is a multiple choice exam administered only in the United States by the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT). lists down all the important reviewers you will ever need to pass the NPTE. We update this section periodically based on our surveys from recent exam takers. We have also detailed how to apply for the NPTE and what to expect while taking the exam.

As mentioned earlier, you have to take the NPTE in the United States. You need to apply for a tourist visa at your nearest embassy. You have to go back to your country of origin after you have taken the exam. This is because green card visa numbers are not current for physical therapists. updates the announcements page monthly to provide you with the current visa bulletin as released by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

In order to work as a physical therapist in the U.S., you have 2 options H1-B or green card. You can apply for both. H1-B is the fastest way. You need to find a sponsor who will file your petition with the USCIS by April 1. Once your application is approved, you can start working October of that year. We have detailed descriptions, work requirements and H1-B quota restrictions on our website.

You can also be sponsored for green card. This involved filing I-140 (employer sponsorship) and I-485 (adjustment of status). Concurrent filing is not possible at this moment because the visa numbers are not current. The green card process takes about 2-4 years. We have a side by side comparison of H1-B and green card on our website.

Horror stories of agencies letting you work way below the prevailing wage or greedy lawyers who charged desperate foreign physical therapists have been told. It is no wonder that most foreign physical therapists are very cautious in migrating into the United States. We have reviewed agencies and have rated them on our website. This way you can make an informed decision. We prefer direct hire over agencies. This is because agencies get a cut from your salary. You get 100% of your salary if you work directly for hospitals and clinics. This is why we have a job listing on our website. You can find hospitals and clinics who are willing to sponsor foreign physical therapists directly.

Much, much more

We have so much more to offer in our website. We have articles section where we discuss credential deficiencies, retrogression We have a forum where you can talk with fellow PTs and answer each others question. We have an expense tracker where you can tell us the state of your choice and we can give you a rough estimate of how much your expenses might be

And much, much more

One site has it all, visit us now at!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *